1. So how did you come up with your blogging name? And/or the name of your blog? Well, when I first started blogging I was a seminary student about to embark on my internship, not really thinking about whether or not I should be anonymous or not. It never occurred to me that people might read my blog, including people that could someday/some how impact my ability to get/sustain a pastoral call. So, back in those days my blog title was very biblical, but a play on words with my last name. Nowadays, it's inspired by a Sarah Maclachlan song (Fumbling Towards Ecstasy), but also kind of a play on the whole journey towards my Master of Divinity degree at seminary, as well as the lifelong journey of faith and trying to understand my relationship with God. Unfortunately, I've found that my blog title is much more theologically profound than I am able to get on even my best days.
My blog name "church nerd" is an affectionate title that many of my friends and I have taken to calling ourselves. Being up to date and interested in all things church related - so being a nerd about church. Although I often call myself "Mark." too, and there's a definite possibility that it might be my actual name. Or, it might not. Who knows?
2. Are there any code names or secret identities in your blog? Any stories there? Yes! There is El Capitan, my senior pastor. As well as the Awesomes, a family from seminary who, to this day, remain some of my closest and dearest friends. There are the Too Cools, a family from church who I have grown quite close to and very fond of. There are J and A, friends from seminary who, at least until recently, both lived relatively close to me. There's Nate Dawg, a dear, dear friend from seminary who I still try to maintain a close relationship with. C-Dubbs is another seminary friend who, until recently, lived close by. There are plenty of others, but right now I'm having trouble remembering all of them.
3. What are some blog titles that you just love? For their cleverness, drama, or sheer, crazy fun?
I have to admit, I've always been a big fan of mine!! :) :) :) "New! Now in Lutheran Flavor" is definitely a good one.
4. What three blogs are you devoted to? Other than the RevGalBlogPals of course!
Nachfolge and Confessions of a Lutheran Husker are two that I try to keep up with, because they are two friends from my church camp counselor days and I have spent time with them and know them and am interested in what is going on in their lives.
Post Secret is another one, because it is interesting, sometimes moving and always thought provoking.
And there are several others I always keep up with, even though I'm not usually a very good commenter.
5. Who introduced you to the world of blogging and why? I don't really remember on in particular. I do remember sitting in my dorm room at seminary and surfing the internet and coming across several blogs. They were extremely varied in their scope. One was the experience of a pregnant mother, and some others were dealing with extremely random things. And I remember thinking that a blog about the experience of a seminarian (at that time) might not be all that bad. And it wasn't long after that decision that I came across several others. I think Polar Bear over at the Ice Floe was one of the first that I came across. As well as RevStacey at the Almond Branch.
Bonus question: Have you ever met any of your blogging friends? Where are some of the places you've met these fun folks? Besides those that started blogging after I already knew them, the only one that I've really met after I started reading their blog is RevStacey. Ross over at In Lay Terms and I have hung out, and I'm not sure if we met before I started reading his blog. I know that we've gotten to know each other and spent more time together in person after having been blog-friends, but I think we actually met in person before we started blogging.